Legal Surgery Hardship Fund
The Legal Surgery Hardship Fund was set up to provide grants of up to £200 in the immediate aftermath of a serious injury, to help patients and their families cope with the sudden practical implications.
Who can apply?
Anyone may apply to the Legal Surgery Hardship Fund through the Legal Surgery. Please note we are not able to support applicants who do not reside in England or Wales. Only one application per patient can be considered.
The purpose of the Legal Surgery Hardship Fund is to support families facing an increased financial burden following a serious injury.
What support can we provide?
- Travel costs for families visiting relatives in hospital or rehabilitation
- Emergency accommodation costs
- Clothing needs (related to the brain injury, such as significant weight loss)
- Travel costs to ongoing outpatient appointments relating to the brain injury
We are unable to fund:
- Taxi journeys, flights or visa costs
- Costs already incurred
- Mortgage or rent payments
- Everyday household expenses
- Private medical treatment
- Utility bills
- Items or services that are the responsibility of the local authority or NHS to provide
- Funeral costs
Please note that there must be a link between the request and the brain injury.
What happens next?
Once we have received the application form, we will contact the applicant and the person in need of the grant (if applicable) for further information. The application will then be assessed, and we will be in touch as soon as we can.
Regardless of the outcome, the Legal Surgery team will try to secure alternative assistance or appropriate signposting for applicants. To apply for the Legal Surgery Hardship Fund, please click below. Alternatively, you can download this printable version of the application form to be sent via post, to Legal Surgery, 12 Commercial St, Manchester, M15 4PZ.